Delicious Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Spring has finally rolled around and when I think of springtime cake I think of Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Cherries, pineapples, and a gooey brown sugar sauce…YUMMY! I love that this recipe uses a cake mix which makes it quick and easy for anyone to mix up.
Be sure to have some hungry people around when this buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cake comes out of the oven, or else you will be tempted to devour the whole thing all by yourself.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple slices/crushed in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 1 jar (6 oz.) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). In a 13 x 9 inch pan, melt butter in the oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
Sliced Pineapple: Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and arrange remaining cherries around slices; press gently into brown sugar.
Crushed Pineapple: Pour crushed pineapple on the brown sugar. Top with the cherries after the cake is baked and cooled for crushed pineapple.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water. Pour batter over pineapple.
- Bake 42 to 48 minutes (44 to 53 minutes for dark or nonstick pan) or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run a knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Place a heatproof serving plate upside down onto pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake 5 minutes so brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Store covered in refrigerator.