If you are looking for a fun family holiday outing and are in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area, head to Wheatland. This estate is the beloved home of our nation’s 15th President, James Buchanan.
The Lancaster History Center holds a Yuletide event at Wheatland each Christmas season. This year’s annual tour led us through the 1828 Wheatland house and the theme for this year’s event is titled ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas…Reimagined. On this journey back in time we got to meet Mr. and Mrs. Clement Moore and imagine what may have transpired on the night Mr. Moore wrote the famous Christmas poem, The Night Before Christmas.
Upon entering the Moore household we found Mr. Moore very hard at work in his library. Since Mr. Moore isn’t a fan of Christmas and the festivities that surround the Holiday he was doing his best to keep busy with his writing and avoiding the celebration taking place in other parts of the home. As the story unfolds, we traveled through the house including a stop at the North Pole and back. We also enjoyed playing games in the parlor, joining in singing a Christmas song, hearing a bedtime story, meeting St. Nick, being elf helpers and loading wrapped presents on the sleigh and more. The mansion was beautifully decorated with lighted trees, garlands, snow, and more which gave it a wonderful holiday feeling. Watch this short video on Wheatland’s Yuletide show.
Tips To Enjoy Your Yuletide At Wheatland Visit:
- James Buchanan’s Wheatland is located at 230 North President Avenue Lancaster, PA 17603.
- Tours are held November 29 – December 28, 2013. Tours are held on the hour and are 1 hour in length. Thursday tours start at 4 PM and last tour of the day begins at 7 PM. Friday and Saturday tours begin at Noon and last tour departs at 7 PM.
- Advance registration is recommended. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling 717-392-4633.
- Children 5-years and under are free. Ages 6 – 13 are $6 and ages 14 and up are $12. Special Family Price package is only $30 for up to 2 adults & 3 children.
- Make sure to purchase your tickets early as some times sell out quickly.
- There is plenty of free parking available.
- Arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to your show time.
- The tour starts in the Lancaster History building. Here you will find free hot chocolate to enjoy, coloring pages and crafts for the kiddos. Be sure to spend some time browsing the gift shop filled with books and other lovely items. Also take a second and pose for your picture with the beautiful tree and polar bears.
Thanks to LancasterHistory.org, a lucky Coupon Cutting Mom reader will be winning a FREE Family Pass to the ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas…Reimagined. This pass is good for 2 adults and 3 children and can be used on any available tour day/time. The giveaway is open to US residents ages 18+ and ends at 12 midnight ET on December 10, 2013.
On the Giveaway Tool form below, simply complete as many entries as you would like. Please note that ALL entries are validated prior to winner selection, so do make sure that you fully complete each entry.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas!